Marketing List Broker

Marketing List Broker
Marketing List Broker An up-to-date and well-targeted marketing list is absolutely essential in any direct marketing campaign, whether you plan to reach your audience by direct mail, fax, telephone or email. In fact, direct marketing maven Ed Mayer developed a 40/40/20 formula which stated that a full 40% of the success of a direct marketing campaign rested on the strength of its marketing list, with the remaining 60% split between the offer (40%) and other factors, including design (20%).

So how can you make sure that you are using the best possible list? One answer is to employ the services of a Marketing List Broker. A Marketing List Broker is someone who puts together a marketing list for you, negotiating with data compilers and list management firms on your behalf, and typically receiving preferential rates because of their volume. Whether you're looking for business to business or business to consumer lists, a list broker will be able to help. They'll find the right lists for you, tailored specifically to your target audience. If you pick a list broker with several years experience, they should also be able to select lists on the basis of how strongly they have performed in the past.

Some list brokers also offer additional services, which may be of interest to you if you have limited resources in-house or lack the relevant experience. For instance, some might be able to advise you on the nature of the campaign and design of promotional materials, or arrange printing and mailing.

A Marketing List Broker will only be effective if you are able to tell them exactly what type of person you are trying to reach. Only you have expert knowledge of your demographic. You need to be able to give your list broker details like what age bracket your customers fall into, what geographical region they come from, how much they earn, and what they spend their disposable income on. If you don't know the answers to these questions, you might want to consider as a first step conducting a survey of your existing customers so that when you launch your marketing campaign you know where to look for new customers. If you don't have the time or budget for a survey, just ask a few of your best customers. It's crucial not to skip this stage as without knowing precisely who you want to target your marketing campaign is very likely to fail.

If you're going to use a Marketing List Broker, you want to find one who is reputable and good at what they do. Make sure that you ask for references, check how long they've been established, and find out if they're a member of a direct marketing association. Make sure they're not affiliated to anyone in the business of actually selling marketing lists, else their recommendations may be biased. Ask friends or associates if they can recommend anyone, and compare several list brokers before deciding on the one you believe will be best for you.

Qualities to look for in a Marketing List Broker are experience and the lengths to which they'll go to fit a list to your particular business. If they're well-established they'll know which lists work in which fields, and may have trusted sources they can contact for industry-specific lists. You might even be able to find a list broker who specialises in your niche industry. It's also important that the list broker take the time to find out everything they can about your campaign – your budget, your offer, what marketing materials you mean to use, what you hope to achieve. This information will enable them to be much more precise in the lists they generate.

If you find the right list broker, and give them as much information about your demographic as you can, then so long as you couple the lists with a good offer and a well-presented campaign you should see excellent returns on your investment.

Of course, you can always start building a business contact list yourself at It only takes a few minutes to register, and once you're signed up you can create a list tailored to the demographic you want to target.